The Whitinsville Water Company is seeking to hire a Seasonal Water System Laborer for the 2017 construction season. The position will be a 40 hour per week position and the primary responsibility of the position will be to work with our construction crew repairing water mains, services, valves, flushing and repairing hydrants, etc. Other duties may include other water system maintenance tasks. It is anticipated the position will last from approximately May to October. Salary will be commensurate with level of experience. A full job description is below:
SUMMARY: Whitinsville Water Company is a private utility with a full time staff of 11 and serves drinking water to portions of Northbridge and Sutton, Massachusetts. The company also provides contract operations for nearby water systems as well as water infrastructure repair services. This is a responsible professional work classification. This position will be primarily responsible for maintenance and repair work conducted on the distribution system. This position is required to have a valid Massachusetts Drivers License. A Commercial Drivers License, while not required, is desirable.
ESSENTIAL DUITES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (includes the following): Primary responsibility involves daily water distribution system construction type activities including repairing/installing water mains, pipes, hydrants, valves, etc. May have to operate associated equipment involved with the repair/installation of water mains, pipes, valves etc. Including power saw, road saw, power tools, hand tools, and other equipment associated with repair/installation of water pipes, valves etc. Position requires a proper understanding of excavation safety practices and entails following company safety procedures and practices. A good understanding of water distribution construction and operations is highly desirable.
Other duties include (but not limited to): Assists with excavations and repairs to water system appurtenances including but not limited to water mains, services, hydrants, and related facilities/equipment and meters. Install new facilities and equipment. Performs system maintenance on facilities/equipment and/or replacement of existing facilities/equipment as required. Position may require overtime/weekend/holiday/nightwork. Additional representative tasks include (but are not limited to):
- Offload, organize, stack and protect materials and equipment
- Transport material and equipment to the work area as required
- Utilizes a variety of material handling equipment and devices, when authorized and licensed to do so.
- Assists skilled tradesmen with layout, fabrication, installation and finishing construction products, systems and assemblies
- Hand excavates trenches and pits with shovels, bars, picks and power equipment
- Work with operators to rough grade, compact and fine grade soils and aggregate products
- Work with operators to install and remove shoring, lagging and all other support of earth systems
- Set precast concrete structures
- Install concrete, plastic, ductile, corrugated, steel and other types of pipe and related products
- Sawcut, chip, jackhammer and scarify existing concrete structures and surfaces
- Performs fire watch, confined space monitoring, flagging and traffic control when trained and authorized to do so.
- Erect scaffolding, ladders, temporary enclosures, walkways, etc.
- Perform demolition work, including, temporary supports, cutting with saws, rip out, disposal and cleanup.
- Perform landscaping type activities such as grass cutting, trimming, edging, seeding, brush cutting, small tree cutting etc.
- Operate landscape type equipment including lawn mower, trimmer, cutter, etc.
- Set up construction equipment and systems, such as heaters, pumps, temporary power, etc.
- Assist with installation and stripping of various types of concrete formwork.
- Mix, place, concrete, loam, seed, etc.
- Installs insulation products of all types.
- Prepare and paints surfaces, using various preparation and application techniques.
- Adhere to all Company Safety Policies.
- Performs miscellaneous other duties and responsibilities as required.
The above description should not be construed as to limiting miscellaneous functions the employee may be asked to perform outside of those listed.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: High School diploma or general education degree (GED) is desirable. Three or more years experience in a similar position is desirable. Ability to read and write English and to be able to communicate to others in a professional and respectful manner is required.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read and write english, analyze interpret and respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies or members of the business community. Ability to present information to management or co-workers.
MATHMATICAL SKILLS: Exceptional mathematical skills are required for this position. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: Valid Massachusetts Drivers License is required. A Massachusetts Commercial Drivers License is desirable. Any type of water construction related certifications are desirable.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Work envisioned in this job category includes working in an outdoor environment above and below grade, in various weather conditions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and toxic or caustic chemicals. The employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts, fumes and or airborne particles, risk of electrical shock, and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to elevated areas, outside weather conditions; cold, and heat. The noise level in the work environment may be loud.
COMPENSATION: This position is a minimum 40-hour position, Monday through Friday 7:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m., with occasional after hour emergency repair work. Compensation is negotiable based on certification levels and experience.
Whitinsville Water Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
WWC Employment Application PLEASE CLICK ON THIS LINK TO PRINT EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION