Annual State Imposed Seasonal Water Use Restrictions
May 1st to September 30th
Non-Essential Outdoor Water Use Prohibited from 9am to 5pm
In accordance with the requirements of the Water Management Act Permit issued by the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection the Whitinsville Water Company is required to enact Mandatory Water Use Restrictions from May 1st until September 30th between the hours of 9AM and 5PM. The restriction prohibits all non-essential outdoor water use during this timeframe.
Examples of “Nonessential” outdoor water uses include:
* irrigation of lawns via sprinklers or automatic irrigation systems;
* washing of vehicles, except in a commercial car wash or as necessary for operator safety; and
* washing of exterior building surfaces, parking lots, driveways or sidewalks, except as necessary to apply surface treatments such as
paint, preservatives, stucco, pavement or cement.
Examples of water uses that may be allowed:
* irrigation to establish a new lawn and new plantings during the months of May and September;
* irrigation of public parks and recreational fields by means of automatic sprinklers outside the hours of 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.; and
* irrigation of lawns, gardens, flowers and ornamental plants by means of a hand-held hose.
Examples of water uses NOT subject to mandatory restrictions:
* for health and safety reasons;
* by regulation;
* for the production of food and fiber;
* for the maintenance of livestock; or
* to meet the core functions of a business (for example, irrigation by golf courses as necessary to maintain tees, greens, and limited fairway
watering, or irrigation by plant nurseries as necessary to maintain stock).
Violators of the water restrictions will be subject to the Water Companies Water Restriction Regulations, which may include termination of water service.
For more information please contact the Whitinsville Water Company at 508-234-7358.