Information About Lead in Drinking Water
You have no doubt seen a lot of media attention in the past few months regarding lead in drinking water. This began in Flint, Michigan, but has since become a topic of conversation and attention in Massachusetts, and other states as well.
Because of concern there may be, our company would like to provide information regarding lead in drinking water to help our customers understand more about the topic.
- Lead is not found in any of the water sources that we use in Whitinsville.
- When water enters your property from the street, there is no lead in the water.
- If no plumbing in your house or facility contains lead, there is no way to get lead into your water.
- Lead can be present in the water service and plumbing materials that are inside your house or facility. If your property has lead pipes, lead solder, or fixtures that contain lead, it can leach into the water over time.
- The amount of leaching can be affected by water quality parameters such as the pH balance of the water in pipes. We treat our drinking water, continuously monitoring pH levels, and maintain proper water quality parameters in the water system to minimize the potential for any leaching to occur.
- We have a testing plan that has been approved by the Mass Dept. of Environmental Protection (MassDEP) and we test in accordance with MassDEP requirements.
- This testing is done at representative locations throughout the entire water system.
- Our test results have continuously met all requirements of this rule which indicates that the treatment we have in place has been effective. Since our system has met the testing requirements for so many years and we have demonstrated propped and effective treatment, we have been placed on reduced monitoring by the State.
If you would like to learn more about lead and drinking water, please feel free to contact our office at 508-234-7358 or visit the following websites: